Hiptage benghalensis (Hiptage)
Hiptage, Helicopter Flower, Madhavi lata माधवी लता
Note: The image is for reference purpose only. The actual product may vary in shape or appearance based on climate, age, height etc.
Madhavi lata, native from India to the Philippines, is a vine like plant that is often cultivated in the tropics for its attractive and fragrant flowers. A woody climbing shrub with clusters of pink to white and yellow fragrant flowers and 3-winged, helicopter-like fruits. Flowers have very interesting shape and look like a decorative accessory, with fluffy-toothed edges.
- Features – It is native from India to the Philippines, is a vine like plant that is often cultivated in the tropics for its attractive and fragrant flowers. it is a large evergreen climbing shrub stem woody and brown. Leaves opposite 10 – 16 cm long about 6c wide, coriaceous. Flowers white on axillary panicles petals 5, silky on the outside, 4 often equal in size and white in colour while the fifth one smaller and pale yellow.
- Special Characteristics – It is Used medicinally in India. The bark, leaves and flowers are aromatic, bitter, acrid, astringent, refrigerant, vulnerary, expectorant, cardio tonic, anti – inflammatory and insecticidal. They are useful in burning sensation, wounds, ulcers, cough, asthma. The genus name, Hiptage, is derived from the Greek hiptamai, which means “to fly” and refers its unique three – winged fruit known as “samara”. The fruit is carried by wind because of its papery wings.
- Uses – It is a woody climbing shrub with. Flowers have very interesting shape and look like a decorative accessory, with fluffy – toothed edges. The fragrance is very strong and pleasant, resembles fruity perfume. Leaves are narrow and drooping. This plant can be trimmed as a bush, and can be crown in container, too.
- Flowers – It have clusters of pink to white and yellow fragrant flowers and 3 – winged, helicopter – like fruits.
- Moisture & soil – Make sure to provide lots of light for profuse blooming. and well drained soil with medium watering at normal temperature with any fertilizers.